June 29, 2018 – General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff, is pleased to announce an addition to the initial list of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements that will occur in 2018.
These officers lead the CAF in defending our country’s values and interests, at home and abroad.
Promotions and appointments resulting from retirements are as follows:
- Commodore R. Pumphrey will retire from service, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
- Captain J.M. Hamilton will be promoted acting while so employed to the rank of Commodore and appointed Director General Defence Force Planning at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Commodore R. Pumphrey.
The following promotions and appointments result from new and continuing service requirements:
- Vice-Admiral M.A.G. Norman will be appointed to a supernumerary position in the Office of the Chief of the Defence Staff, resulting in the following appointment:
- Commodore H.C. Edmundson was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral and appointed Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command at NDHQ
Commodore M.B. Mulkins will transition to Class A service with the Royal Canadian Navy, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
- Captain S.E. Hopper will be promoted to the rank of Commodore and appointed Commander Naval Reserve at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Commodore M.B. Mulkins.
- The following acting-while-so-employed Commodores will be promoted to their substantive rank:• Commodore I. Carosielli
• Commodore J.A. Clarke
• Commodore C.S. Earl
• Commodore M.T.J. KurtzAfter distinguished service to Canada and the CAF, Commodore R. Pumphrey will retire in 2018: