The Annual WiDS Scholarship fund was established in 2006 with a mandate to encourage women to further their educational objectives and pursue careers and related to Canada’s defence and security. Since 2006, over $100,000 has been awarded in amounts ranging from $1,000-$10,000. This year, WiDS is pleased to announce that one scholarship, valued at $10,000 will be awarded.
Applicants must meet the following mandatory criteria. No exceptions will be considered.
1. be enrolled at an accredited university or college, either full-time or part-time in the school year 2020-2021 (in the case of university students both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible, however undergraduates must have completed at least 2 years of study);
2. demonstrate interest in pursuing a career related to Canada’s defence or security;
3. have a minimum grade point average of 70%;
4. provide evidence of community, education or professional leadership;
5. be a woman; and
6. be a citizen of Canada.
WiDS scholarships are tenable only at recognized institutions in Canada. For applicants who have completed a previous degree abroad, proof of acceptance or registration at a Canadian institution is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted after September 3, 2019. Application form found here.
- Obtain an original copy of the most recent transcript from the academic institution that you are attending.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with your accomplishments and career goals. At least one must be from a faculty member at your current college/university.
- Provide proof of Canadian citizenship (in form of copy of birth certificate, citizenship card or first page of passport).
- WiDS requests six (6) copies of your complete application – one complete application with the original documents and 5 additional photocopies. (As a volunteer-run organization, we have limited administrative capacity and are unable to photocopy applications for the review committee.)
- Applications must be mailed. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
- Applications MUST be completed in full as incomplete applications will not be considered. For an application to be considered as completed in full, you MUST send six copies of all required documents, including transcripts and recommendation letters.
- Do not include extra items such as: copies of awards, certificates, newspaper articles or photographs.
- Applications should be submitted to the below noted mailing address and post marked no later than December 13, 2019.
Women in Defence and Security Canada
c/o Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries
251 Laurier Avenue West, Suite 300
Ottawa, ON K1P 5J6
Attn: WiDS Scholarship Committee