The Indo-Pacific Deployment 2021 (IPD21) unit conducts a multilateral exercise with the U.S. Navy (USN), Royal Navy (RN), Royal Netherlands Navy (RNLN), Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) in order to strengthen cooperation and realize a “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” as described below.
(1) To improve JMSDF’s tactical capabilities
(2) To strengthen cooperation with the participating navies
2. Period October 4-9
3. Exercise Area South China Sea
4. Participating units
(1) JMSDF: JS SHIRANUI
(2) USN: USS THE SALIVANES
(3) RN: HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH, HMS DEFENDER, HMS KENT, HMS FORT VICTORIA, HMS TIDESPRING
(4) RNLN: HMNLS EVETSEN
(5) RCN: HMCS WINNIPEG
(6) RNZN: HMNZS TE KAHA
5. Type of exercises Tactical Exercise, Replenishment at Sea
6. Notes Preventive measures against COVID-19 is being implemented during the exercise.
US Navy photo of JS Shiranui